Re: [platform-dev] Linux: handle problematic GTK3 themes

Hi Thomas,

Most likely the theme only supports GTK 2 but not GTK 3, most of "old good" Gnome themes support only GTK 2.
So even if KDE allows you to select such themes, it will have only effect on GTK2 applications and render GTK 3 apps in a very ugly way.

Actually there are very few themes with proper GTK 3 support, and only few from them are usable. This is because with every GTK 3 "micro" release more and more old features were removed, "new" CSS styles/ids restructured/renamed etc, so that not only you need a GTK 3 compatible theme, you also need a version of that theme *matching* current GTK 3 version. It is a permanent nightmare.

What we do is to make sure users are using exact the theme we provide by setting GTK_THEME env. variable, independently what the user select in KDE.
You can also try to ship some GTK 3 theme with SmartGit and use that theme by default. My personal favorite is Clearlooks-Phenix, here is my repo on github: https://github.com/iloveeclipse/clearlooks-phenix. Note that this one is tested/used on GTK 3.22 only.

Kind regards,
Andrey Loskutov

Спасение утопающих - дело рук самих утопающих

http://google.com/+AndreyLoskutov

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 08. Januar 2019 um 12:33 Uhr
> Von: "Thomas Singer" <ts-swt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> An: platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Betreff: Re: [platform-dev] Linux: handle problematic GTK3 themes
>
> An extreme example of controls that looks much different in Linux Mint
> 17.1 and SmartGit (using SWT 4.922) can be seen in the attached
> screenshot. Setting -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.noThemingFixes has no
> effect. It looks rather like some completely different theme is used.

Back to the top