Re: [platform-dev] Proposal for StyledText

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 9:19 PM Laurent Caron <laurent.caron@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Good evening,
Let me introduce myself: my name is Laurent Caron, and I'm a proud Eclipse Nebula Committer.

Hi Laurent,

I've worked on a little enhancement for StyledText widgets. It mimics the behaviour of Firefox or Chrome when you click on the wheel button: a circle with arrows appears and you can navigate through the whole document by moving you mouse.
(please see encloding video)

I think this feature would be great to have in StyledText! The StyledText widget is kind of drawn manually (it's not a fully native widget, but a Java-based widget that compose native "TextLayout"s for rendering), so it seems fine to extend its feature from the Java world.

This is currently a prototype (code non reviewed and tested on Windows only), and I'm wondering if this feature could be interesting ?
In this case, should I fill a bug and propose a Pull Request ?

Yes, that'd be the preferred way to move forward. Please make sure you share the links here when the bug and the Gerrit patch are available.
However, beware that Platform can sometimes be demanding project and that such new features is likely to bring a lot of discussion and small change request before it gets merged. I hope you won't be discouraged, and keep in mind this is a way to reach sustainable quality and this is profitable to everyone (author, committers, adopters, end-users)

Thanks in advance!
--
Mickael Istria