Re: [platform-dev] Multi-workspace Eclipse application

Mickael,

Sorry, but my knee-jerk reaction is very negative.  Just imaging the number of places in my own frameworks that would need to be reworked gives me cold shivers.  Imagining trying to maintain compatibility between a before-multiple-workspaces Eclipse and an after-multiple-workspaces Eclipse makes the cold shivers worse.

So many questions arise.  For example, instance preferences are stored in the <workspace>.metadata folder because of course they're per-workspace preferences.  So as a user, when I change a preference, in which workspace would be be stored?   Also, often code in any specific framework really has no context, at least not currently.  E.g., when EMF saves a resource with the URI platform:/resource/<path>/<file>, it uses a utility like the following, of course assumes there is but one workspace with one workspace root:

      IFile file = workspaceRoot.getFile(new Path(platformResourcePath));

What if there are multiple workspaces and each one has a corresponding IFile for that URI?  To me the questions of "how would that work?" seem endlessly endless.  :-(

It seems to me there are so many other places where effort to improve things could/would be better focused.  But in the end, the fundamental question, "What does such a new feature buy us that would offset the huge disruption?", needs a very good answer.  On that front, it seems to me that a single workspace can already contain arbitrarily many projects. As such, an operation/action where one could specify "Import Projects from Other Workspace" could accomplish much the same goal, wouldn't it?  I.e., it seems to me the goal, which I assume is to have a workspace with more projects it in, might be better directed toward a utility for composing multiple workspaces into a single workspace.  This could be accomplished with no disruption to anyone else because the end result is simply a single workspace.

So that's my feedback.  Try to clearly articulate goal.  It seems to me that "multiple workspaces" is a way to achieve some goal, but is not really the goal in and of itself and may well not be the best way to achieve the real underlying goal.

Regards,
Ed