Re: [platform-dev] Is it good to use Java 8 parallel streams in RCP apps?

On 16 Jun 2015, at 10:51, Mickael Istria wrote:

I'm wondering whether you would recommend using Java 8 parallel streams in Eclipse plugins? Wouldn't it conflict with the Jobs API? If not, is it fine to replace a set of system jobs by a dataSet.parallelStream().forEach(closure) ?
The progress monitors are going to look funky ;)
They always do ;)

Have you tried using the new Job group api that was added to Mars that adds much more than just parallelism ?
Yes, I tried this after I send the initial mail, and it is actually great! With 4 easy lines of code I could really improve considerably performance of the "smart import". The configured throttling feature is easy to use and seems to provide much more simplicity and cleanness than parallelStream(): http://zeroturnaround.com/rebellabs/java-parallel-streams-are-bad-for-your-health/

got a link to the changes for smart import ?

/max

--
Mickael Istria
Eclipse developer at JBoss, by Red Hat <http://www.jboss.org/tools>