[platform-dev] Launching an eclipse product from standalone osgi container

Hi All,

Firstly please let me know if I've sent this to the wrong mailing list, happy to redirect as appropriate.

I am a developer on the Newton project (http://newton.codecauldron.org) and I'm trying to do some work to bring newton and eclipse closer together but I'm running up against a barrier in my understanding about how eclipse starts it's platform ui functionality.

I'm initially just trying to figure out the base set of bundles and properties I need to start to get an eclipse based ui product to show. Ideally this would be outside of the eclipse launcher (for reasons I can go into in a follow on email if appropriate?)

The crux of the problem I have is that even though I /think/ I've started all the bundles eclipse configures for a vanilla external product, no ui appears. The cpu maxes for about a second or two whilst the bundles load, but then all goes quiet and no ui is visible.

I have added log lines to the Activator start(BundleContext ctx) method for my dummy ui plugin and I can see that this is definitely getting called.

I'm guessing there may a system property or command line argument I need to set to get the ui to show but I've not had very much luck tracing through the source code to figure out what it is. Hoping some kind soul can point me in the right direction.

I've included what I hope is relevant technical information below...

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Dave.

* The main class I am using is:

org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter

* The bundles I'm starting are:

lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.equinox.common_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@1:start, \
\
lib/eclipse/com.ibm.icu_3.4.5.jar@2, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.commands_3.2.0.I20060605-1400.jar@2:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.expressions_3.2.1.r321_v20060721.jar@2:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.help_3.2.1.R321_v20060920.jar@2:start, \
\
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.jobs_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.equinox.registry_3.2.1.R32x_v20060814.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.equinox.preferences_3.2.1.R32x_v20060717.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.contenttype_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.swt_3.2.1.v3235e.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.jface_3.2.1.M20060908-1000.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.ui.workbench_3.2.1.M20060906-0800.jar@3:start, \
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth_3.2.0.v20060601.jar@3:start, \ lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.registry_3.2.1.R32x_v20060907.jar@3, \
lib/eclipse/org.apache.xerces_2.8.0.v200606131651.jar@3:start, \
\
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.2.0.v20060603.jar@4:start, \
\
lib/eclipse/org.eclipse.ui_3.2.1.M20060913-0800.jar@5:start, \
\
app/org.cauldron.newton.dummy.ui@6:start

* The system properties I've tried setting:

eclipse.product=org.cauldron.newton.dummy.ui
osgi.splashPath=platform:/base/plugins/org.cauldron.newton.ui

* In my logs I see the following lines:

+ exec java -Dnewton.container.features=/home/dave/.newton/container.properties -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote -Xmx1024m -cp lib/container.jar:lib/equinox/org.eclipse.osgi_3.2.0.v20060510.jar:lib/equinox/org.eclipse.swt.gtk.linux.x86_64_3.2.1.v3235.jar:lib/equinox/startup.jar: org.cauldron.newton.launch.Launcher -consoleTty=true
Launcher:INFO: org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter []
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.equinox.common; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install com.ibm.icu; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.commands success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.expressions; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.help; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.contenttype; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.jobs; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.equinox.registry; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.equinox.preferences; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.swt; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.jface success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.ui.workbench; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth success Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.registry success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.apache.xerces success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.core.runtime; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.eclipse.ui; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Install org.cauldron.newton.dummy.ui; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.equinox.common; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.core.commands success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.core.expressions; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.help; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.core.contenttype; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.core.jobs; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.equinox.registry; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.equinox.preferences; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.swt; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.jface success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.ui.workbench; singleton:=true success Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility.auth success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.apache.xerces success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.core.runtime; singleton:=true success
Application[newton-ui] Start org.eclipse.ui; singleton:=true success
Dummy UI start(BundleContext ctx) started**************************
Dummy UI start(BundleContext ctx) finished**************************
Application[newton-ui] Start org.cauldron.newton.dummy.ui; singleton:=true success

Paremus Limited. Registered in England
No. 4181472
Registered Office: St Alphage House, 2 Fore Street, London, EC2Y 5DH Postal Address: 107-111 Fleet Street, London, EC4A 2AB
The information transmitted is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.