[platform-dev] Locking files across processes

Title: Locking files across processes

Hi,

Eclipse disallows access to the same workspace from more than one instance of the eclipse framework simultaneously.
In Windows this is done by creating the .lock file in the eclipse workspace(in .metadata folder).

How is it done for linux platform? The file locking mechanism(having open file stream) does not work in linux.
In JDK 1.4* locking of files can be done by using FileChannels but this is not possible in JDK1.3.

We want a similar solution for one of our plugins but on JDK1.3.

It would be great if someone could point to how it is done in Eclipse for Linux.

Regards,
Amit.

Back to the top