[platform-debug-dev] Disconnecting and connecting to a suspended jvm

Hello,

I am attempting to implement multiple debug targets debugging of the
same JVM process  (please see the old discussion of this approach
here: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-debug-dev/msg01292.html).

A specific problem I am having can be seen in the following scenario:

1. Start a regular java debugging session.
2. Hit a breakpoint. Suspend jvm.
3. Disconnect your debug target from the suspended jvm.
4. Connect another debug target to the suspended jvm. Resume it and
continue debugging.

While doing step 3, a call to com.sun.jdi.VirtualMachine.dispose()
seems to resume the suspended state -- this not what is wanted. If the
VirtualMachine.dispose()  is not called, attempt to connect at step 4
produces a "org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Failed to connect
to remote VM. Connection refused".

The available sun jvm documentation does not have information about
connecting/disconnecting to/from a suspended jvm, therefore I hope
this forum might shed some light.

Thanks in advance.

Xsu

Back to the top