[platform-debug-dev] Easy way to implement multi user / distributed debug feature

Hi.

My project goal is to extend the platform debugger to support distributed debugging (multi user debugging).
The first try will be for the jdt debugging.

  1. My idea is to have one master DebugPlugin, where the other peer's DebugPlugin can register themselves as IDebugEventSetListener.
  2. Breakpoints added to the BreakPointManager of the non-master DebugPlugin are delivered to the master DebugPlugin's BreakPointManager
  3. The master DebugPlugin will exclusively start the debug process and will dispatch the DebugEvents to all IDebugEventSetListeners. For the non-master DebugPlugins this delivery will go through serialization (xml messages via XStream library).

One big problem is that the event.getSource() is an Object of IProcess or another object of the DebugModel interface classes which resides only in the VM of the master DebugPlugin.

This event-source will be queried by the debug ui to fetch information from the debug model, won't it?

I guess I need to provide proxy objects in the non-master debug peers.

My question is:
For which classes I need to provide proxys in whole and what are the pitfalls in this approach. Have you any suggestions to reach my goal in an easier way?

Please let me know your opinion about my steps in mind.

Thx.

Frank E.

Back to the top