Re: [platform-debug-dev] Updated debug util plugin

Thank You, the get involved page is a good overview and if I think of anything valuable to add I'll go ahead and do it.  My specific question was just to clarify how bugs are verified, and according to the overview, they are verified with both a code inspection as well by executing product with the fix included and verifying that the bug is addressed.  So I'm still wondering what is done in cases where verifying the behavior is difficult or not possible, like in case of intermittent problems or difficult environment setup?

Cheers,
Pawel

Curtis Windatt wrote:

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/debug/get_involved.php

This page describes the basic processes we use. Not sure if it will be in enough detail to answer your questions though. So go ahead and ask.

Also, as a new committer you should have been given commit rights to our webspace, so you can update the site if you think it is incomplete.
:extssh:@dev.eclipse.org:/cvsroot/org.eclipse www/eclipse/debug

We do have a wiki page http://wiki.eclipse.org/Debug but currently it only has links and a Debug FAQ on it. The wiki can be edited by anyone with a bugzilla account.

Curtis

Inactive hide details for Pawel Piech ---04/30/2008 09:49:49 PM---Thanks Mike and Curtis,Pawel Piech ---04/30/2008 09:49:49 PM---Thanks Mike and Curtis,

Pawel Piech <pawel.piech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list." <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

04/30/2008 09:49 PM

Re: [platform-debug-dev] Updated debug util plugin

Thanks Mike and Curtis,
I had no idea that the build notes log was maintained in this way. I have a couple of other questions about verification, but first I should ask if there is a wiki page somewhere describing the debug group processes?
-Pawel

Curtis Windatt wrote:
      In debug, we expect that when committers verify bugs, they will add an entry to the buildnotes of the plugin (eg. buildnotes_platform-debug.html). To make it easier to do so, we provide a simple plug-in that provides actions to insert new entries. You specify a bug number and the tool will grab the required information from bugzilla and format it properly.

      We (Mike Rennie and I) just updated the tool so that it matches our current format and comes with a preset key-binding (Ctrl-Alt-V for verify). We also added an update site to our website to make it easy to download and install.

      To install using p2:

      In Eclipse, go to Help > Software Updates
      Drag the URL from this e-mail or hit the add site button

      http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/debug/update
      Expand the new site to find the Debug Utility
      Hit install
      Hit the restart button when prompted
      In the perspectives you want to have the actions, go to Window > Customize Perspective and enable the Bugzilla group on the Commands tab.

      To install without p2 you can follow the above steps but use the old update site manager. You can also download the plugin directly by going to
      http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/debug/update in your browser.

      Time to start assigning bugs to Pawel to verify :)

      Curtis