Re: [platform-debug-dev] [Fwd: Re: [cdt-dev] catchpoints design]

> I'm cross-posting this to the platform mailing list since this is
> kind of a general debug workflow issue....
>
> Hi All,
> In CDT we're discussing adding support for additional breakpoint
> types which are supported by only some CDT-based debuggers.  In
> order to avoid cluttering the UI with irrelevant actions, we are
> discussing whether and how to filter these breakpoint actions based
> on the active debug session.  I actually think that this problem
> also applies to JDT and other debuggers, since for example in the
> Wind River product we get regular complaints about "Add Java
> Exception Breakpoint" being present in the Breakpoints view toolbar.
>
> So my question to the platform team is:
> 1) Do you think that filtering breakpoint actions based on the
> active debug context makes sense?

I agree that it would be nice to be able to filter the breakpoint creation
actions based on some context. The problem here is deferred breakpoint
creation. If the actions are filtered based on active debug context, then
how can I create a breakpoint before a debug session starts (like a Java
exception breakpoint) ?

> 2) Do you think such a filtering mechanism should be standard and
> supported by platform?

If we can find a good way to do this - yes.

> 3) Do you think the File->New mechanism is appropriate for this
> purpose as I suggested in the CDT discussion at (http://wiki.
> eclipse.org/Talk:CDT:_Debug:_Catchpoints_support#File_-.3E_New).

"File -> New" feels heavy for breakpoint creation. Generally this is
reserved for things that create new entities in the file system.

Darin Wright

Back to the top