Re: [platform-debug-dev] 3.4 M6 Testing

The example plugin used in EclipseCon has support for the Memory View and
Registers View.

My concern with using PDA or the example in testing is that these plugins
lack the complexity of a regular debug adapter.  In some cases, while the
views work well with the sample, they can get into trouble when they are
run against "real" debuggers.  This is especially true for threading
problems.  During test pass, I typically test these views with our own
debuggers, keeping in mind that I am testing the views and not our
debuggers.

If a problem is in the viewers / platform code, in most cases, they can be
reproduced with the Java debugger, once we understand what the problem is.
: )

Thanks...
Sam

             Pawel Piech
             <pawel.piech@wind
             river.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse Platform Debug component
             platform-debug-de         developers list."
             v-bounces@eclipse         <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             .org                                                       cc

                                                                   Subject
             26/03/2008 12:59          Re: [platform-debug-dev] 3.4 M6
             AM                        Testing

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
              Debug component
             developers list."
             <platform-debug-d
              ev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Samantha Chan wrote:
> Hi Pawel,
>
> Thanks.  It's great to know!  :)
>
> I have updated the test plan with some details for non-Java testing.
> Please take a look and let us know what you think.
> http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/debug/test_plans/test_plan-3.4M6.php

It's a good start :-)  Testing with non-java platforms is a bit nebulous
at the moment since it'll be good to know the exact configuration in
order to reproduce any problems.  Maybe in future test cycles we can add
the exact configuration we're testing with.

One problem I have with testing with CDT or DSF is that I'm doing more
testing of those components rather than the platform features.  One way
to get around this is to implement those features in a dedicated test
debugger integration, such as PDA... though that could get pretty
expensive.

Cheers,
Pawel
> Thanks...
> Samantha
>

>              Pawel Piech

>              <pawel.piech@wind

>              river.com>
>              Sent by:                  "Eclipse Platform Debug component

>              platform-debug-de         developers list."

>              v-bounces@eclipse         <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>              .org
cc

Subject