[platform-debug-dev] Multicontext debugging proposal

Hi Pawel,

I added more comments to the multicontext debugging proposal:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/DSDP/DD/MultiContext_UnlinkViewContextProposal#Comments

Since the comments section is getting large I've also included them in
this posting:

Reviewing this proposal again, I think what's missing is the higher level
goal. I believe the higher level goal is to be able to have sets of debug
views linked to a specific context, and to be able to have different debug
contexts (e.g. cores within a session) have different sets of views that
can be placed side by side.

I think a problem with this proposal is that it places a heavy burder on
the user to manage views. For example, they must manually unlink and pin
views to a specific context. Then, once a context is stale it's not clear
how to cleanup the view (i.e. is it left floating?), and how to
capture/reuse a "view configuration" in a later debug session now that
time has been spent setting it up. Can the user set up a view
configuration before launching (i.e. in a launch configuration)?

Note that the debug platform already has a mechanism for grouping views
for a particular kind of debug session. For example, a Java debug session
has a certain set of views assocaited with it, and when the user selects a
Java stack frame, the relevant views are brought to the front/opened.
There are extension points to support this: contextViewBindings and
debugModelContextBindings. Basically, we tie a "context" to a set of views
and bind a debug model to a "context".

I wonder if it would be simpler to enhance the existing support to allow
for a "new set" (more instances) of the same views to be opened for a
debug session. This would leverage the existing support any may help
achieve the higher level goal (a dedicated group of related views for a
debug session) with less steps/burden placed on the user. I could also see
this sort of support appearing in a launch config - i.e. as a check box to
use a new set of views, and perhaps which views they'd like to see.

Darin Wright
Eclipse Debug Lead,
Rational Team,
IBM Canada