Re: [platform-debug-dev] Forcing edits to write in variable views

Hi Ken,

We intentionally avoid saving any changes to the target if there are no changes in the variable value editor. It's more efficient - if you're tabbing/keying through variable values, making no changes then there's no need to have the back end do anything.

So, why do you want to be invoked to save changes, if there are no changes?

Darin Wright

Ken_Dyck@xxxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/07/2007 10:35 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list."        <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-debug-dev] Forcing edits to write in variable views

Hi,

I'm trying to coax the register view to write edited values to their
registers even if the values haven't changed.

It seems to me that the natural place to do this would be in my
implementation of IVariableValueEditor.saveVariable() (supplied via the
org.eclipse.debug.ui.variableValueEditors extension point) except that
it is only called from DefaultVariableCellModifier.modify() when the
value has changed.

It looks like the next best alternative is to supply an IEditorAdapter
adapter for my IRegister class, implementing all the associated plumbing
that goes along with that (ICellModifier, and maybe a CellEditor). I can
see this resulting in a lot of duplication of what's already in the
platform. Yuck.

Questions:

1. Would it make any sense to change
DefaultVariableCellModifier.modify() so that it checks whether the value
has changed as part of the default behaviour that happens _after_
IVariableValueEditor.saveVariable() returns false?

2. If not, are there any simpler ways to force edits to write than by
providing an IEditorAdapter? What are they?

Regards,
Ken

_______________________________________
Ken Dyck
Senior Member of Technical Staff
Software Tools Group
AMI Semiconductor Canada Company
Tel: +1.519.884.9696 ext 2277
Fax: +1.519.884.0228
Email address: ken_dyck@xxxxxxxx
Internet: http://www.amis.com
AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please notify the sender and delete the copy you received.