[platform-debug-dev] Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] Enhanced Run/Debug launching support coming in I20070227

>Does this mean with contextual launches turned on, you can no longer
run/debug the "last launched" configuration?

With contextual launching turned on there is no explicit action to "launch
last". However, the change in behavior is subtle. If you are editing files
associated with the last launch (which is often the case), then pressing
run/debug (or key bindings) will be equivalent to launch last.

There are some situations where this is not exactly what you want (for
example, when editing a class in a plug-in after running the test suite,
pressing run will run a workbench rather than the JUnit test suite).
However, I think you'll find that most of the time, the actions launch
what you want. The launch history is still available in drop downs, and we
intend to leave the old launching behavior in tact for users that want it
(as a user preference).

Darin Wright

Mark_Melvin@xxxxxxxx
Sent by: dsdp-dd-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
02/26/2007 02:10 PM
Please respond to
Device Debugging developer discussions <dsdp-dd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Device Debugging developer discussions <dsdp-dd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [dsdp-dd-dev] Enhanced Run/Debug launching support coming   in
I20070227

Hi Darin,

Does this mean with contextual launches turned on, you can no longer
run/debug the "last launched" configuration?  I'm not sure I have a
problem with this yet until I try it - but I know this behavior is pretty
ingrained in our users (as well as myself!) right now.  I was just
wondering if there was any way to leverage the advantages of both the new
contextual behavior, plus those of the old "last launched" behavior.  The
only way I can think to do it is to make them separate actions.

Mark.

Darin Wright <Darin_Wright@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dsdp-dd-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
02/26/2007 12:19 PM

Please respond to
Device Debugging developer discussions <dsdp-dd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx, dsdp-dd-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
[dsdp-dd-dev] Enhanced Run/Debug launching support coming in I20070227

In this week's integration build (Feb 27th) debug has released support
that simplifies launching for novice users (see bug 74480). The support is

turned off by default, but you can activate it on the "Run/Debug >
Contextual Launching" preference page ("Enable contextual launch"). We
anticipate that the new and improved launch behavior will be the default
setting in Eclipse 3.3 (and 3.3.M6), and we encourage developers to try it

and file any bugs as necessary.

Before using the new support you should migrate existing launch
configurations on the "Run/Debug > Launching > Launch Configurations"
preference page, to ensure all resource mappings for launch configurations

are up to date.

The main difference between the old and new launch support is that when
you press the Run or Debug button (or F11, Ctrl-F11), rather than
re-launching the previous launch, we launch the selected resource or
active editor.

Different situations may apply:
* If the selection has never been launched, it will be launched
automatically based on applicable launch shortcuts (what you see in the
"Run As >" menu). If there is only one applicable launch shortcut, it will

be used to launch the resource. If there is more than one applicable
launch shortcut, you will be prompted to choose a way to launch the
resource.
* If the selection has been launched before, the most recently launched
configuration associated with the resource is launched. For example, if
you’re working on a class in a plug-in, the most recently launched Eclipse

Application launch configuration will be re-launched.
* If there are no launch configurations in the recent launch history
associated with the selection but there are configurations in the
workspace associated with the resource, you will be prompted to choose
from those configurations associated with the resource.

Additionally, you can manage your launch configurations as resource
properties. Opening the properties dialog on a resource now shows a
"Run/Debug Setting" property page where all configurations associated with

that resource (and its children), are shown. You can create, edit, and
delete configurations from this page. This provides a scoped view of
launch configurations for the selected resource.

For power users, the "Run/Debug As" context menu actions are still
available. For example, if you want to launch a resource specifically as a

JUnit test rather than a Java Application, you can still do this from the
context menu. As well, the traditional launch dialog is still available –
but the actions has been renamed to "Open Run Dialog…" and "Open Debug
Dialog…".

The Debug Team

AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or
privileged. The information is intended for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this
information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in
error, please notify the sender and delete the copy you received.