Re: [platform-debug-dev] VariableLabelAdapter and VariableContentAdapter

For now, your best bet is to subclass the internal adapters. We intend to
promote some form of the content adapter interfaces to public API during
3.3. This will cause breakage in your code, but it should be easy to
migrate. The existing adapter implementations may also become API during
3.3.

Darin Wright

"Mike Morearty" <mmoreart@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
08/15/2006 06:32 PM
Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Debug component developers list."
<platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[platform-debug-dev] VariableLabelAdapter and VariableContentAdapter

I would like to have custom labels and custom children for variables in
my Variables view. So I can implement IAsynchronousLabelAdapter,
IAsynchronousContentAdapter, and so on, to do this. My understanding is
that although those interfaces are in a package which is "internal," I
should go ahead and use those interfaces, because the only reason they
are marked internal is that you want time to shake out the APIs in
response to feedback from the community.

However, I would prefer that my custom behavior be in addition to the
custom behavior already provided by Eclipse's built-in
VariableLabelAdapter and VariableContentAdapter. But those classes are
also in an internal package. And in fact it looks like
VariableLabelAdapter and VariableContentAdapter are not intended for me
to subclass, because, although the package name of
IAsynchronousLabelAdapter and IAsynchronousContentAdapter includes
"provisional," the package name of VariableLabelAdapter and
VariableContentAdapter does not.

I've tried to figure out some clever way of hooking into
VariableLabelAdapter and VariableContentAdapter without referencing them
explicitly -- e.g. some way to aggregate my behavior on top of theirs --
but I haven't come up with anything. The only way I've found to
"subclass" them is to really subclass them.

Any suggestions? Is there a way to do this, or would it make sense for
Eclipse to add a way to do this?

Thanks,

                 - Mike Morearty
                   Developer, Adobe Flex Builder