Re: [platform-debug-dev] extending VariablesView?

Hello,

The debug views are internal and subject to change :-) They are extensible in that you can contribute your own actions to the views via regular workbench extension points. Generally, we hope/intend other debug implementations to re-use the existing views. So we'd like to know why you need your own views, and why the platform views are not sufficient.

> I am writing a plugin that contains a new debug view. The plugin is
> primarily for use with CDT.
>
> Having looked around the Callisto sources, it looks like extending
> VariablesView would be the way to go as it provides almost everything I
> need (except for my own unique functionality), but it is an internal API
> (so liable to change). I see the RegisterView and ExpressionView both
> extend it, but they are also internal. And it appears they are hardwired
> into the source (as opposed to plugin.xml style and so not suitable for
> a plugin).
>
> Is extending VariablesView the way to go (with associated risk of
> change)? If so, how do I plug it in?
>
> If not, what is the best way to write a debug view? I was hoping to
> avoid re-inventing the wheel (of VariablesView)...

Darin

Back to the top