[platform-debug-dev] Memory View IMemoryBlock/Extension scrolling

hi all,

I've been working on a rendering for the new memory view and I'm a bit concerned that I don't have an accurate understanding of how scrolling is intended to work. Is this covered by a design document? Is there more documentation than the code itself?

Target connections can be slow. It's therefore essential that the rendering only reads the minimum amount of bytes necessary to fill the viewport. How can the IMemoryBlock be sized appropriately? At instantiation time (IMemoryBlockRetrieval/Extension) a guess can be made, but this is hardly a solution since the user may resize or reformat the rendering. IMemoryBlockExtension provides getBytesFromAddress(address, units) for arbitrary reads. If reading outside of the range of the memoryblock is the answer, this puts a caching/delta burden on the memoryblock. Is the memoryblock to keep track of all arbitrary reads so that it can generate deltas? Or should it simply return MemoryByte[]s with isHistoryKnown() equal to false and force the view to perform the change tracking work? I was hoping to find either a IMemoryBlock/Extension.setLength(int) (since we already have a corresponding getLength()) or a length parameter added to IMemoryBlockExtension.setBaseAddress(address).

I thought about doing something like the following in response to a user request to scroll by one row.

    myIMemoryBlockExtension = ((IMemoryBlockRetrievalExtension)
        myIMemoryBlockExtension.getMemoryBlockRetrieval())
        .getExtendedMemoryBlock(currentStartAddressPlusX, myIMemoryBlockExtension);

This would allow for an elegant reuse of much of the previously read (and still valid) memory. Of course, it's also embarrassingly hackful.

Help?

ted

Back to the top