Re: [platform-debug-dev] Configuring the padded string in a memory rendering

Hi -

Thanks Mikhail for giving me the feedback.  I would work on providing a
global preference for the padded string.  If you rendering does not wish to
use the padded string from this preference, you can implement your
rendering to use a different string.  It is up to your implementation to
honour this setting.

As for memoryByte flags, although it makes sense to treat an invalid byte
as read-only, I am inclined to keep them separated.  I do not want to
enforce such implication on the API.  I rather have clients explicitly tell
me if a byte is writable or not.  Some clients may complain in the future
if they come across with a platform that allows them to modify
unretrievable memory. Although it may seem unlikely, but I would like to
keep that option opened. Otherwise, we will have to break API compatibility
if we want to allow invalid bytes to be writable in the future.

I am also looking at your proposal about changing IMemoryBlockExtension's
#getBytesFromAddress and #getBytesFromOffset.  I will keep you posted on
that.

Thanks
Samantha

             "Mikhail
             Khodjaiants"
             <mikhailk@xxxxxxx                                          To
             >                         <platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             platform-debug-de
             v-admin@eclipse.o                                     Subject
             rg                        Re: [platform-debug-dev]
                                       Configuring the padded string in a
                                       memory rendering
             01/12/2005 02:50
             PM

             Please respond to
             platform-debug-de

Hi Samantha,

I would definitely prefer to have one global preference, but I can't rule
out the possiblity that some renderings would need a padding string
different than default. So far I haven't ran into this problem, but I
haven't started to work on the disassembly rendering yet.

Mikhail

BTW I have a question related to the MemoryByte flags. If byte is not
VALID,
shouldn't it been treated as READONLY by the Memory view?