Re: [platform-debug-dev] Implementing a Debug Model supporting concurrent access

> We have a debug model implementation which internally is heavily message
> driven, and uses the UI thread for dispatching our events.

In 3.1, the debug platform dispatches events in a seperate thread. As you
call DebugPlatform.fireEvents(...), the events are queued and dispatched
in a seperate job/thread. This reduces the chances of deadlocks, as event
listeners won't call back into the model via the calling thread, and
(potentially) block. Will this help?

> So the question is: Would it be possible to require debug model clients
> to access the debug model ONLY on threads other than the UI dispatch
> thread.  And if so, in what time frame could such a requirement be
> implemented by the platform.

Since debug models have never been specified with thread restrictions, or
as single threaded, we don't want to introduce such a restriction.
Instead, models should be able to handle mutlti-threaded access.

Darin

Back to the top