[platform-debug-dev] Configuring the padded string in a memory rendering

Hi -

There is a method called getPaddedString in IMemoryBlockExtensionRetrieval.
The string returned by this method call is used for rendering memory bytes
that are not retrievable for display.   As noted in previous discussions,
this method should be part of Debug UI instead of Debug Core.

However, looking at this method again. we feel that replacing this method
with an user preference is more appropriate.  So, the proposal is to remove
this method from IMemoryBlockExtensionRetrieval. Instead,  Debug platform
will provide a global user preference to allow user to configure this
setting.  The setting is defaulted to "??".  Clients who implements
IMemoryRendering will have to consult this preference when rendering a
memory block.  All of the bytes that are marked as invalid will be
represented by this string specified in the user preference.

So, my questions are:
* Are you ok with having just one global padded string preference for all
rendering types?
* or Would you prefer to configure this setting programmatically via the
model presentation or some other interface?

Please let me know if you have any comments / questions to this proposal.

Thanks

Samantha

Back to the top