[platform-debug-dev] Memory Rendering API

Clients using the memory rendering APIs will be interested in this note.

In 3.0, the memory view was introduced as "internal" API, subject to
change. Samantha (the original contributor) and I have been working on
making the API public for 3.1. We have agreed on a starting point for the
API, which can be found in today's integration build. Note that the
implementation of the new API does not yet exist, but should come to life
by the end of M6. The package containing the UI portion of the proposed
API is "org.eclipse.debug.ui.memory". As well, the memoryRenderingTypes
extension point will be replaced with a memoryRenderings extension point.

Renderings implemented against the 3.0 "internal" API will need to be
ported to the new public API. The new API provides generic renderings
(IMemoryRendering) that can be hosted in different containers/views that
provide an IMemoryRenderingSite. The debug platform will provide standard
renderings for ASCII, Hex, Signed, and Unsigned integer, as well as a two
pane memory view. We intend to provide abstract classes for generic
renderings and text based renderings (i.e. like ASCII), that clients can
subclass to create custom renderings.

Darin

Back to the top