[platform-debug-dev] Re: [eclipse-dev] Suggestion for Enhancement of Console View

We have recently added support for special consoles.
An example is a Java Stack trace console that allows the user to navigate
within Eclipse using a pasted stack trace.
It would appear that the functionality/enhancement you are looking for would
fit well as a type of console.

Great opportunity for community involvement

Darins

>> Hi List....
>>
>> I have a suggestion for the "console view" in Eclipse platform. I know
>> that this should be entered as a bug report for enhancement, but wanted
>> to discuss with the list first.
>>
>> The enhancement suggestion is like this...
>>
>> The console view is currently used to view the output of any program.
>> It acts a pseudo input/output stream for the terminal, but that is too
>> limited.
>>
>> There are some editors which provide a complete simulated command
>> prompt. So to RUN an external tool / command the user types in the
>> commands on the console view and the command is passed to the OS shell
>> for execution. The output is shown in the console view.
>>
>> The only thing missing with Eclipse platform is that the user can not
>> execute a command by typing in the console view. He has to configure
>> the external tool in the Run menu and only from there s/he can execute
>> the command.
>>
>> It would be really nice to type in the command in console view and
>> execute it from there. So no one has to configure small, rarely used
>> external tools.

Back to the top