Re: [platform-debug-dev] org.eclipse.ui.variables plugin?

If we were to split the "variables ui" into a seperate plug-in (which
seems reasonable), I  beleive the SelectedResourceManager could live
there. I will bring this up as a discussion  point at this week's Eclipse
status meeting.

Darin

Jared Burns <jaredburns@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-debug-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx
02/23/2004 05:16 PM
Please respond to
platform-debug-dev

platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[platform-debug-dev] org.eclipse.ui.variables plugin?

We pulled the "string variables" support out into a core plugin
(org.eclipse.core.variables) because we consider the variable support
interesting apart from debugging. If this is the case, then shouldn't we
also pull our contributed variables out of the Debug UI plugin?

I'm thinking we would create an org.eclipse.ui.variables plugin which
provided the variables currently defined in Debug UI. It would be nice
to then expose these variables (most of them, at least) as API so that
other people can extend them the way we do.

On the subject of API, I would like to promote the
SelectedResourceManager to API.

This all occurred to me when I started working on Bug 52028 for JDT,
which suggests adding a "type_name" variable which would resolve to the
selected resource's fully qualified type name. Instead of reinventing
the wheel to support this, I'd really like to either extend the
ResourceResolver or at least make use of the SelectedResourceManager.

- Jared