From: berestet@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:berestet@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 2:13 PM
To: platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [platform-debug-dev] Launch Configuration Dialog & Working
Set Support

Hi Darin,
At some point in 2.1 I have proposed an idea of grouping launch
configuration types within the Launch Configurations Dialog.
At the time it was suggested that 'working sets' support maybe used
instead.

I am wondering whether we can re-visit the idea of grouping launch
configuration types. I do believe that for
the products that ship a significant number of launch configurations this
would be a nice solution even though
it may require an extra level of tree expansion.

Thanks,
Vadim Berestetsky
Distributed Debugger Development
Phone (905) 413-4403; T/L  969-4403
Internet:  berestet@xxxxxxxxxx

|---------+------------------------------------>
|         |           Darin                    |
|         |           Wright/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA  |
|         |           Sent by:                 |
|         |           platform-debug-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org              |
|         |                                    |
|         |                                    |
|         |           01/07/2003 02:42 PM      |
|         |           Please respond to        |
|         |           platform-debug-dev       |
|         |                                    |
|---------+------------------------------------>
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       platform-debug-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx                                                            |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  [platform-debug-dev] Launch Configuration Dialog & Working Set Support                    |
  |                                                                                                           |
  |                                                                                                           |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Early in the 2.1 development cycle, support was added to the Launch
Configurations Dialog, to support working sets. I fell the current support
does not play well, and I propose that we remove the support for launch
configuration working sets for the 2.1 release. The launch configuration
scalability issue should be readdressed in the 2.2 release.

Currently, the support for working sets in the launch configuration has the
following drawbacks
* The support is hidden. To create & apply working sets, the pop-up menu in
the launch configuration tree must be used.
* The dialog only works with "Launch Configuration" working sets. This is
not immediately intuitive to the user, as the use may try/want to use
existing "Java" or "Resource" working sets.
* The working set filter is applied globally, no matter how the dialog is
realized. For example, if a user creates a launch config working set to
display only "Java Application" launch configs, and then realizes the
External Tools launch dialog, no configurations will be present.
* If a working set is created for a subset of launch configuration
instances (rather than all instances of a launch config type), the dialog
is incapable of displaying newly created launch configurations (as the new
configs are not in the static, pre-defined working set).

Due to these exsiting problems (and the fact that the problems are not
trivial to solve in the remaining development time), I propose that we
remove the current support. As the support was not present in 2.0, I
believe this is fair (i.e. we are not removing pre-existing support from a
shipping product).

Darin