Re: [platform-core-dev] [perf] org.eclipse.core.runtime.Path (computeSegments) : is cache possible ?

On 11/14/2013, 12:10, Martin Kočí wrote:
Hi Igor,

I described it probably incorrect : m2e does not modify workspace resources
outside of workspace built, but maven/mavenBuilder (part of the build)
copies with resource-mojo from src/main/resources to target/classes :
then  eclipse performs refresh on those resources (allocating many new
Path instances)

How this behaviour is different from Java or any other builder? If
workspace state is out of sync with underlying filesystem, eclipse
builders have no choice but to reprocess input resources and regenerate
corresponding outputs.

One idea was: not to execute the resource-mojo, when no
resource-filtering occurs and let the javaBuilder to copy them. What do
you think about it ? I bring it later in m2e-mailing list.

Resources mojo is expected to participate in workspace build the same
way as Java builder does. Replacing one with another to process the same
out-of-sync resources is unlikely to make much difference.

Were you aware about that orginal problem with hiearchical project and
AliasManager ? That must happen with many maven projects.

I am well aware that Eclipse workspace generally has very poor
support for hierarchical project structure commonly used in Maven. I am
not aware of the specific performance problem with AliasManager.

Igor

Regards,

Martin

2013/11/14 Igor Fedorenko <igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:igor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    On 11/14/2013, 8:54, Martin Kočí wrote:

          > Some common examples of problems that could cause excess
        path creation:
          > - traversals of the resource tree. There is a heavily optimized
        IResourceProxyVisitor class that will only instantiate Path object
        lazily when requested, which can make a huge difference. Of course
        minimizing/avoiding deep traversals altogether is even better.
           > Resource changes occurring outside of builds or other batching
        operations, which triggers excess resource change events

        Yes, this is the case of maven from command line / in background +
        refresh : this is the performance problem with m2e/maven builds.

    For the record, m2e is not expected to modify workspace resources
    outside of workspace build. If you see this happens, please open a bug
    against m2e and provide small standalone example project and exact steps
    to reproduce the problem.

    Igor