Re: [platform-core-dev] Environment variable support in workspace files

The resource API actually supports project locations relative to a variable, but this feature is not exposed in the UI. This was considered but there are open questions about how the project lifecycle works, when and what would initialize the variables, and what to do if the variable is undefined. You are welcome to open a bug to discuss it further.

ViRuSTriNiTy <cradle-of-mail@xxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/01/2012 12:27 PM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."        <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] Environment variable support in workspace files

Hello everybody,

i hope this is the mailing list that fits my question.

My development team wants to start using Eclipse but there seems to be
no support for environment variables in workspace configurations.

Here is an example to make my question more understandable:

- *ProjectX* stored at *D:\Development\Common\Components*
- *Workspace with ProjectX* stored at *D:\ExampleWorkspace*

The workspace stores the location of ProjectX in the file

*.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects\ProjectX\.location*

as

*URI//file:/D:/Development/Common/Components*

We do not want to deal with absolute paths because the workspace
configuration needs to be portable across different machines. Therefore
we want to use environment variables (like %DEVELOPMENT% which points to
D:\Development).

Where can i find the Eclipse source code that implements the "URI
parsing" so that i can apply a patch adding support for URIs like:

*URI//file:/%DEVELOPMENT%/Common/Components*

Thanks in advance for listening

Daniel