[platform-core-dev] Environment variable support in workspace files

Hello everybody,

i hope this is the mailing list that fits my question.

My development team wants to start using Eclipse but there seems to be no support for environment variables in workspace configurations.

Here is an example to make my question more understandable:

- *ProjectX* stored at *D:\Development\Common\Components*
- *Workspace with ProjectX* stored at *D:\ExampleWorkspace*

The workspace stores the location of ProjectX in the file

*.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.core.resources\.projects\ProjectX\.location*

as

*URI//file:/D:/Development/Common/Components*

We do not want to deal with absolute paths because the workspace configuration needs to be portable across different machines. Therefore we want to use environment variables (like %DEVELOPMENT% which points to D:\Development).

Where can i find the Eclipse source code that implements the "URI parsing" so that i can apply a patch adding support for URIs like:

*URI//file:/%DEVELOPMENT%/Common/Components*

Thanks in advance for listening

Daniel

Back to the top