Re: [platform-core-dev] Open a file programatically in Eclipse editor -- please help if possible

Sinppet 1 works well on my Eclipse. You made a typo in the editor id.
Change it to "org.eclipse.ui.DefaultTextEditor"
and it should work.

BTW, this is a development list, next time you should ask on Eclipse Forum
(http://eclipse.org/forums/)
Regards
--
Szymon Brandys

             Rohit Girme
             <rgirme@xxxxxxx>
             platform-core-dev         platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             -bounces@eclipse.                                          cc
             org
                                                                   Subject
                                       [platform-core-dev] Open a file
                                       please help if possible

             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
              Core component
             developers list."
             <platform-core-de
              v@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello guys,

This may be a well discussed topic for most of you. Let me explain what I
am trying to do. I am trying to open a file(a .c file to be specific)
external to Eclipse( not in a eclipse project in its workspace)
programatically in Eclipse editor. I went through a lot of posts and
forums/google search. I tried a few ways but to no avail.
Most of the things I tried I realised were for older versions of Eclipse
API's.
Finally I found a way which required org.eclipse.core.runtime plugin.
However the version was 2.1. I tried to include that and the code gave me
no compile errors, but a runtime error saying
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
org/eclipse/core/runtime/Plugin, method: <init> signature:
(Lorg/eclipse/core/runtime/IPluginDescriptor;)V) Incompatible object
argument for function call
at com.example.mouse.FileOpen.main(FileOpen.java:85)

Line 85 was
IWorkspaceRoot ws = ResourcesPlugin.getWorkspace().getRoot();

Here are some of my code snippets I tried but didnt work

1 )
   File file = new File("/home/rohit/func.c");
                         IFileStore fileOnLocalDisk =
EFS.getLocalFileSystem().getStore(file.toURI());
                         FileStoreEditorInput editorInput = new
FileStoreEditorInput(fileOnLocalDisk);

                         IWorkbenchWindow window = PlatformUI.getWorkbench
().getActiveWorkbenchWindow();
                         IWorkbenchPage page = window.getActivePage();
                         try {
                                     page.openEditor(editorInput,
"org.eclipse.ui.DefaultTextEdtior");

                         } catch (PartInitException e) {
                                     // TODO Auto-generated catch block
                                     e.printStackTrace();
                         }*/

2)
  IWorkspaceRoot ws = ResourcesPlugin.getWorkspace().getRoot();
                         IPath location = new Path("/home/rohit/func.c");
                         IFile file = ws.getFileForLocation(location);
                         IProject project = ws.getProject("External
Files");

                         if (!project.exists())
                                     try {
                                                 project.create(null);

                         if (!project.isOpen())
                             project.open(null);

                         //IFile file = project.getFile
(location.lastSegment());
                         //file.createLink(location, IResource.NONE, null);

                         FileEditorInput fileEditorInput = new
FileEditorInput(file);
                         IWorkbench workbench = PlatformUI.getWorkbench();
                         IEditorDescriptor desc =
workbench.getEditorRegistry().getDefaultEditor(file.getName());
                         IWorkbenchPage page =
workbench.getActiveWorkbenchWindow().getActivePage();

                         page.openEditor(fileEditorInput, desc.getId());

                                     } catch (CoreException e) {
                                                 // TODO Auto-generated
catch block
                                                 e.printStackTrace();
                                     }

Well there are few more but no point listing them because all of them gave
me errors.
The point is how do I open an external file in Eclipse editor. Please point
me to some article/post/ideas or code snippets for Eclipse 3.5.1. There are
many out there for older versions but nothing complete. I have spent a lot
of time on this and have proceeded no where...
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Rohit Girme