Re: [platform-core-dev] Problem with environment variables and link paths during build

Hi John,

Thanks for correction !!

I do agree that the problem has occurred while developing extension for
CDT.

But after debugging a lot I found that there might be a problem with how
platform is actually consturcting the paths. And it might also be doing
some manipulation over Environment Variables.

That's why I have asked in this mailing list. Let me know if my
understanding about eclipse-platform role in building the paths is wrong.

Because as I checked my code, I found that environment variables are
getting passed properly but it is during the build that linker shows wrong
formattted path. In place of -L/a/b/c , it shows :/a/b/c .

So, where does this -L is getting manipulated whether in CDT or in platform
core I am not sure. Does the delimeter has any role to play ?

I have mailed it in CDT also for the same purpose.

Thanks & Regards,
Nayna Jain
Nexus Tools Development
Bangalore, India
Contact : 402-56859

             John Arthorne
             <John_Arthorne@ca
             .ibm.com>                                                  To
             Sent by:                  "Eclipse Platform Core component
             platform-core-dev         developers list."
             -bounces@eclipse.         <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             org                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             30/06/2009 19:12          Re: [platform-core-dev] Problem
                                       with environment variables and
                                       link       paths during build
             Please respond to
             "Eclipse Platform
              Core component
             developers list."
             <platform-core-de
              v@xxxxxxxxxxx>

This is the platform core mailing list, which has nothing to do with CDT. I
suggest trying the eclipse.tools.cdt newsgroup.

 Nayna Jain <naynjain@xxxxxxxxxx>
 Sent by:
 platform-core-dev-bounces@eclipse.o                                    To
 rg                                          platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                        cc

 06/30/2009 05:06 AM                                               Subject
                                             [platform-core-dev] Problem
                                             with environment variables
          Please respond to                  and link        paths during
   "Eclipse Platform Core component          build
          developers list."
   <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi,

I am developing on Eclipse Europa 3.3 and CDT 4.0

We are extending CDT Functionalities and doing some customizations.

We have a plugin which extends the buildDefinitions providing new project
type and project nature and defining our own tool chain.

To integrate this toolchain we have defined our own Configuration Level
Environment Provider.

We are extending for this reason IBuildEnvironmentVariable which extends
IEnvironmentVariable.

For operation we use the value : IBuildEnviornmentVariable.ENVVAR_REPLACE.
For delimeter we use the value : null.

However I realized that for default OS set enviornment variables , if we
invoke Eclipse from this it works fine.

Now if we set few environment variables before invoking Eclipse and then
invoke it gets complete new and added list of environment variables, but in
this case it is failing at linking. The link paths got screwed up and is
showing : in place of -L.

For Eg :

ppcnf-linux-g++:
:/home/nayna/workspace/runtime-EclipseApplication/Test1/export/abc/xyz/lib:/esw/test/Builds/btest/export/abc/xyz/lib:

No such file or directory

I tried the same thing with delimeter="" ; or delimeter=" ";
In this case it works fine and the extra command doesn't appear. I was
suprised that it worked fine for some random value also like delimeter="@".

I would like to know the exact purpose of delimeter and where is it used ?
On what basis should we decide its value ?

I tried going through CDT code using debugger but couldn't understand
enough . Also from the Build Macros and BuildEnvironmentVariables I
couldn't get much information.

Also , I would like to know how  and where does this linker paths are
constructed

So, please let me know if someone can help.

Thanks & Regards,
Nayna Jain