Re: [platform-core-dev] E4 Resources and RCP

>just in order to easily use existing infrastructure such as the Project
Explorer
One other important motivation to use IResource in RCP is to be able to use
markers and its views.

Dani

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                                              |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list." <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>                                                                |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  |24.09.2008 20:10                                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  |[platform-core-dev] E4 Resources and RCP                                                                                                          |

Hi all,

I've had a talk with Michael Scharf today, where we got the suspicion that
some RCP's might "mis-use" IResource for things (like E-Mails etc) that
are not necessarily file system based -- just in order to easily use
existing.
infrastructure such as the Project Explorer that's optimized for IResource
contents.

Could that be true? Given that the IResource class Javadocs explicitly
state
"The workspace analog of file system files and directories.", we were
wondering if it would make sense to perform an "extract supertype" kind of
refactoring on the IResource interfaces in order to separate the core
concepts such as IContainer, Operation, Notification and Builder from
the file system based stuff.

This separation of concerns could also be a step towards allowing RCP
to user Builders (i.e. Transformers) on the Workspace tree without having
to have an artificial "Project" -- If I'm not mistaken, this was one of the
thoughts mentioned during the E4 Summint.

Since the supertypes would still be related to an IWorkspace tree or,
more concrete, a base type of it: the new base types could be named
IWSTree, IWSNode, IWSContainer for relating to arbitrary stateful elements
of a workspace (such as virtual folders, URLs, E-Mails, database members,
computed elements, ...). The existing IResource / IContainer could then
remain the file system based extension of that basic concept.

How does that sound?
Any thoughts?
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm