Re: [platform-core-dev] e4 Resources Kickoff Meeting

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Oberhuber, Martin
<Martin.Oberhuber@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> PS I'm going to add the "Aliasing" topic to the E4 Work Areas Wiki.

Thanks Martin!

>> In E4, choosing the semantics should be explicit, and
>> simple for the user. In fact, the whole topic of Aliasing
>> seems like a theme and big rock for E4 Resources by itself.
>>
>> In Eclipse 3.x, you can choose semantics as follows:
>>
>> (a) Create a symbolic link on the file system in order
>>     to create the alias --> file is treated with different
>>     context (different markers, different parsing, different
>>     project, ...)
>>
>> (b) Create a linked resource for in order to create the
>>     alias --> If the linked resource points into an
>>     existing project, that project's context will be
>>     the "native context" of the file and used regardless
>>     of wherever the file is linked into.

It's worth noting that all linked resources -- whether real filesystem
sym-links or Eclipse Linked resources currently behave like (a).

>> Both options (a) and (b) can make sense in some scenarios,
>> there is no "better" or "worse" one.

I completely agree, and Serge's example is valid. I just wish it all
worked seamlessly :).

Cheers,

James

Back to the top