Re: [platform-core-dev] eclipse plugins framework as standalone

Jeff McAffer wrote:

you are asking two questions: a) using the plugin and extension mechanisms without a GUI and b) using this from "inside some other application"

a) sure. just remove the plugins you don't need and write an application that does not use any UI code

b) you can run Eclipse from another Java program by putting the OSGi jar on the classpath of the outer program and calling the appropriate methods on EclipseStarter.

but will i get extension point support?

Note that Eclipse has a strong component model and manages component classpaths dynamically. So accessing classes contained in plugins from the outer program is challenging.

i plan on having the "outer" program as a core plugin.

Jeff

*Ittay Dror <ittayd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/12/2005 01:01 AM
Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."

	platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
	[platform-core-dev] eclipse plugins framework as standalone

Hi,

I know this question must have come up a lot of times, but I didn't find
a definitive answer.

How can I use Eclipse's plugins framework (meanint osgi+extension
points) as a standalone jar which I can run inside some other
application? This means, in particular, no GUI support.

Thanx,
Ittay