Re: [platform-core-dev] Bundles which do not require org.eclipse.osgi

It should be more pessimistic.  If you cannot identify a plug-in as 3.1 or later (including not having a plugin.xml, or having no <?version tag?>), you need to assume <= 3.0.  The same for manifest.mf.

-Randy

John Arthorne <John_Arthorne@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/04/2005 09:57 AM

Please respond to
"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list."

"Eclipse Platform Core component developers list." <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

Jim wrote on 03/05/2005 11:18:20 PM:

> > In this week I-Build the OSGi framework no longer gives access to
> > non-java.* packages provided by the JVM for free.
>
> Thomas,  A change that would result in the Java class libraries no longer
> being visible would cause major breakage to existing Eclipse plug-ins. We
> need to ensure that existing Eclipse 3.0 plug-ins in the field continue to
> work in 3.1.

I agree this is a breaking change.  Perhaps we can use the eclipse version processing instruction to handle this? I.e., plugins with this processing instruction in their manifest would get access to the boot loader for free:

<?eclipse version="3.0"?>

While plugins with this processing instruction (or with no plugin.xml at all), would have to import the packages they need.

<?eclipse version="3.1"?>

Is there an equivalent encoding of the Eclipse version in the MANIFEST.MF format that will allow us to identify plugins needing backward compatibility support in the future?