Re[4]: [platform-core-dev] Can I use Eclipse Platform Corefunctionality outside Eclipse?

Did you also look at the OSGi service registry? The registry shares
several concepts with the extension points. A key difference was that
extension points are declarative while services required Java code to
run. In R4 we will add declarative services that will remove this
disadvantage.

Kind regards,

     Peter Kriens