RE: [platform-core-dev] About the performance of jars and compression : some ideas for plugins installed as one jar.

PaScaL scripsit:
>Also  the runtime supports nested jars, we are only interested in
shipping as "flat jars" where the code is at the root of the jar.
>Two reasons to that: first the nested jars have to be exploded which is
costly and seconds tools such as compilers do not support nested jars.

Sounds quite reasonable to me.
Then in that context, making some experiments with compressed or
uncompressed jars should be easier.
Once again my hunch is that uncompressed will be faster.
If you can tell when I could get a nightly build that has the feature
working, I will give a shot and report here.

The other thing that would be a ultimate refinement is to have class
jars.
It may be hard to do automatically in practice, but the idea is to get a
VM started in verbose mode, get the list of classes in the order they
are loaded for a given build, and rebuild the jars so that the class
files are added in that order in their respective jars. That should
oviously be limited to the core statup classes, like the osgi stuff, ad
can provide yet some other startup time improvements.
But hey I guess that would not happen in this life time :-)

--
Cheers
Philippe

philippe ombredanne | nexB - Open by Design (tm)
1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne at nexb.com
http://www.nexb.com

Back to the top