RE: [platform-core-dev] Re: Large-scale issues summary

John,
These look good but I do have one observation about memory footprint. I've run Eclipse through the YourKit profiler a number of times to try and understand what's slowing it down, expecially when you come back to a minimized (and paged out) instance under Windows. Most of the slowness could be traced to the IDE's memory footprint, which is typically between 200-300M for me (I had to use -Xmx256m or higher with JDK1.4.2 to avoid excessive GC or out of memory errors).

I loaded a workspace which, among other things, had most of the SDK plug-ins binary-imported and looked at where the memory was going with the profiler. Most of the memory was used by JDT, not by the platform. For example in one test, platform-core and platform-ui accounted for roughly 50M of heap allocations and JDT accounted for almost all the rest (150M+). Most of the JDT memory was for Java Model objects (JavaElements and whatnot being stored in some kind of cache).

I did these tests on Windows with Sun JDK1.4.2_something and Eclipse 3.0 so things may have improved  since then, but I still think that trying to address the IDE's memory footprint by working hard to reduce platform-core's memory will have only a limited effect if platform-core is nowhere near the biggest memory user.

BTW, you mention string interning; the tool didn't provide good support for investigating this but from what I could tell the only area that had significant problems with duplicate strings was in the ui.commands area (key definition names, etc.). I believe this is being significantly redone in 3.1 anyway.

Back to the top