Re: [platform-core-dev] multi-stream/rollup support, was: Issues with large-scale development

Thomas, I *think* you are also describing a problem that
I see frequently with needing to cross-commit
a change to multiple development branches.

   A change may be done in branch A, but for various reasons
also needs to be cross-commited to branches B,C, and D.  At times
this can be hugely non-trivial as A,B,C, and D may be enough
different that there are some merge issues applying
exactly the change set from A to B, C, or D.

   Is this the kind of thing you are refering to?

Ed
Thomas L Roche wrote:

John Arthorne Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:21:40 -0500
This is a general call for those using Eclipse for large-scale
development to let us know what the major problem areas are.

One of the more painful problems for those of us working on Rational
Developer is "rolling up" commits to multiple streams at certain
points in the cycle ... like now. My team has just (hopefully :-)
completed v6, and now has several target streams:

0 6.0.0.1: fixes for bugs that couldn't get fixed in v6

1 6.0.1: some new function, more bug fixes

2 HEAD: everything else (the open-field, blue-sky stream)

Unfortunately

* typically, commits to any lesser (i.e. lower-numbered, above)
 streams need to be "rolled up" (also committed) to the farther-out
 streams

* the platform does not easily accomodate working with multiple
 streams (unless I'm missing something, please lemme know if so)

Currently we maintain separate workspaces for each stream, and proceed
like the following, beginning in the {lowest-down, most immediate}
workspace:

0 Note each changed file, commit to its stream.

1 Propagate each changed file's changes to the corresponding file in
 the next-most-immediate workspace, if one exists. (AFAIK this must
 be done outside of eclipse, e.g. with emacs ediff-buffers.)

2 Compile/test the patched workspace, and loop.

This is not too painful if a change involves only 1 file, however that
is rarely the case. In any case, It Would Be Nice if the workbench
could automate/ease more of the process (esp step 1), since this
situation occurs for much of the cycle (i.e. excepting only those
times when we are "locked down" onto one target stream/version).