Re: [platform-core-dev] Pathology, take two

In addtition to the concerns raised below about which from method is used for reading things in, I'm also concerned about the way the representations are written out. For example, imagine the user were to create a new file, providing the filename 'foo:bar'. When they look in the package explorer do they see it represented as 'foo::bar'? I can see no end of confusion from that. Particularly when a user who is not using Eclipse but is working on the same code base sends an Eclipse user in search of the file 'foo:bar'. When the user examines a file properties, do they see 'foo::bar' (toString) or 'foo:bar' (toOSString). I would expect the former, and I would expect it to be a fairly ugly artifact. What happens if I use the file search and provide a filename pattern 'foo:bar' because my coworker who uses emacs refered me to something in that filename, will it be searched through? What if I'm searching with a filename pattern like 'foo::bar' because I was directed to look for something in that filename by a coworker using Eclipse who
read that name off of the package explorer?

If the toString() colon escaped form is being used for display what happens to semantic information that colon name conveys? foo.20041006_10::54::31 seems less
suggestive.

I would seem to me that dealing correctly and sanely with all the miriad colon escaping
cases could be quite maddening, and possibly not doable in a reasonable way.

Ed

Ed Burnette wrote:

The difference between Path.fromString() and Path.fromOSString() is really subtle. Can you provide some more examples of inputs and outputs of these functions (as would go into creating a testcase)? Also some more guidance about which one to call would be helpful. For example, which would you use for paths entered by a user in a dialog? Paths that come from a user written config file? Paths that come from a message file? Paths hardcoded in a Java program? Output from URI.getPath()? URL.getPath()? File.getPath(), .getAbsolutePath(), and .getCanonicalPath()? Etc....

Back to the top