[platform-core-dev] Re: setURLStreamHandlerFactory

Just to let you know, we (Visual Editor) and many others rely heavily on the URL support in Eclipse for accessing the platform: protocol. It is extremely important for us. We are dealing with functions (XMI in particular) that work only with URL's and we need to be able to access in a reliable platform independent URL way the resources in a workspace or in a plugin. These URLs are saved out into files and distributed to other workspaces (such as through CVS) and so must be platform independent, which the platform: protocol is. If the platform: protocol is removed it would break many functions.

So please don't think about removing this capability in the future.

Thanks,
Rich

Back to the top