Re: [platform-core-dev] New preferences API

First problem sounds like a bug in JDT.

Second one sounds like feature requests to the UI team

Please enter the appropriate bug reports.

Jeff

"Gunnar Wagenknecht" <G.Wagenknecht@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/12/2004 06:43 AM

Please respond to
platform-core-dev

<platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] New preferences API

Hi!

Will the new preferences API provide support for an "editing mode"?

My use cases is the following. We have a preference page for configuring
the target development environment our plugins to a special application
server. This is simply done by pointing to the app servers config file.

Depending on the app server, several path variables and classpath
variables are updated. If the user clicks "Apply", they are updated.

Problem 1:

If the user clicks Apply, the preference pages for platform's path
variables and JDT's classpath variables doesn't update itself if they
were opened before. IMHO this might be a bug because they should
register as preference listeners and update their internal model.

Problem 2:

If a user only changes the app server configuration in our main
preference page but do not apply the changes, and opens another
preference page which allows configuration to specific topics. How can
the other page get the "temporary" settings of our main page? Do I have
to query the dialog for my open pages or is there a better way?

IMHO it would be interesting to have some kind of "editing mode" support
for preferences pages. Because the use case might be even another one
where preference page of plugin X might disable certain options
depending on the workspace auto-build setting and these settings. I mean
we have certain options which are only useful if autobuild is enabled.
Thus I want to disable then depending on another preference setting.

Currently, a user have to enable auto-building, click "apply", wait, and
then it can edit new options. In most cases a user have to close and
reopen the preferences dialog because an already initalized page doesn't
update itself.

Cu, Gunnar