Re: [platform-core-dev] How to run eclipse platform as a tomcat servlet

In 2.0.2 help infocenter, we had eclipse running from a servlet, and the setup is described here:
http://dev.eclipse.org/viewcvs/index.cgi/~checkout~/platform-help-home/infocenter202.html

The special setup was needed to overcome Java limitations that allow setting only one URLStreamHandler factory (both Eclipse and the app servers set their own url handlers), and to deal with class loading issues in the XML parser.

Do a search on the newsgroup and on the platform-help-dev mailing list, there has been some discussion on this topic (related to help, but probably useful).

Now, the wish list for help is have the native support from the Eclipse core to be embeddable in a container that sets its own URLStreamHandlerFactory. Likely, eclipse+osgi would have to construct URL's by using the URL(protocol, host, port, file, handler) constructor.

-Dorian

Jeff McAffer/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/08/2004 05:49 PM

Please respond to
platform-core-dev

platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Re: [platform-core-dev] How to run eclipse platform as a tomcat servlet

The Help guys looked at this at one point I think.  I don't think anyone in Core land has tried/knows.  Perhaps try the help folks.

Jeff

"Andreas Kapp" <andreas.kapp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

01/08/2004 02:13 PM

Please respond to
platform-core-dev

<platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[platform-core-dev] How to run eclipse platform as a tomcat servlet

Hi

I would like to use the EMF Framework inside a web application.
Is it possible to launch the eclipse platform inside a servlet?
Are there exampes how to do that?
What are the prerequisite plugins to launch the platform?

Thanks.

Regards,
Andreas