[platform-core-dev] 3.0M6 runtime changes

I'm trying to get the rcptest example to work in M6. I found a couple ways that work and one that doesn't so I thought I'd run them by the list to see what should be recommended.

The M5 plugin.xml simply had:

   <requires>
      <import plugin="org.eclipse.ui"/>
   </requires>

This didn't build in M6 because org.eclipse.core.runtime.Plugin was moved. This works (#1):

      <import plugin="org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility"/>
      <import plugin="org.eclipse.ui"/>

and this works too (#2):

      <import plugin="org.eclipse.core.runtime"/>
      <import plugin="org.eclipse.osgi"/>
      <import plugin="org.eclipse.ui"/>

I also tried the "Convert to OSGi Bundle" command (#3). That didn't work, or at least the runtime was unable to find the example plugin code anymore. Perhaps I need to invoke it a different way, but I noticed the conversion created two new files, extensions.xml and META-INF/MANIFEST.MF. I expected the second one but the first one was a surprise. Previous mail indicated that would be eclipse.xml, while the current 3.0 porting guide says it should still be plugin.xml.

So what's the right way? I'm leaning towards #2 because I shouldn't have to use a compatibility layer. In an RCP program you want as little code pulled in as possible. The current doc is a little confusing on this but it makes it sound like going with pure OSGi bundles (#3) would be the smallest of all by eliminating the Plugin class, but I'm not sure how to invoke and debug that yet.

Back to the top