Re: [platform-core-dev] Path variable resolution

Paths are not aware of variables at all.  Paths are in the runtime plugin,
and path variables are in the resources plugin, which precludes any
possibility of interaction from IPath->IPathVariableManager (even in
javadoc).  What path are you calling toFile() on?  IResource.getLocation()
will return a location that is already resolved.  If you call
IResource.getRawLocation(), then you will have to resolve the path
yourself.

Path variables are similar to JDT build path variables, and they could
potentially replace them, but they are not connected in any way.  Why do
you ask about create/delete frequency, etc?  I can't really say, but I
expect they will be created with similar frequency as JDT path variables.
My guess is that they will be created rarely (only when the project is
first setup), deleted very rarely (no interesting use cases for this).  As
for quantity, I expect a small number... a high figure would be 10 or 20?
You can read the following document to find their motivation, and some use
cases.

http://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/flexible-projects-proposal.html
--

                      Jed
                      Anderson/Minneapolis/IBM        To:       platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx

                      01/17/2003 05:13 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-core-dev

Am I required to call IPathVariableManager.resolvePath(IPath) on a path
before calling toFile()? The implementation of Path.toFile calls
toOSString, which does not use the IPathVariableManager at all.

If this is the case, I will open a bug noting that the documentation on
IPath should be updated to reflect this new API agreement.

Are path variables a generic implementation of the JDT path variables?
What sort of assumptions should I make about path variable
creation/deletion frequency and total number of path variables?

jkca

Back to the top