Re: [platform-core-dev] Re: AutoRefresh attempt #2

Jed, if you can reproduce and fix this, can you submit a patch for
Convert.toPlatformBytes()?

Rolf, we have another problem in this area, and if you happen to know the
answer it would be great.  This method currently fails on certain NL
platforms (GB18030 code page, and English Win2k where a DBCS locale is
selected).  I think the problem is that we're not using the correct
String->byte encoding.  We try to auto-detect the default platform encoding
(feels like a hack), but that doesn't seem to work in these NL cases.  If
you happen to have any insight I'd be forever in your debt (or at least owe
you a beer)!!

                      "Jed Anderson"
                      <Jed_Anderson@xxxxxxx>          To:       platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      Sent by:                        cc:
                      platform-core-dev-admin@        Subject:  Re: [platform-core-dev] Re: AutoRefresh attempt #2
                      eclipse.org

                      10/07/2002 03:34 PM
                      Please respond to
                      platform-core-dev

Rolf,

Is it that simple?  Wow.  I see if I can duplicate your fix.

jkca

|---------+----------------------------------->
|         |           "Rolf Wilms"            |
|         |           <rolf_wilms@xxxxxxxxxxx>|
|         |           Sent by:                |
|         |           platform-core-dev-admin@|
|         |           eclipse.org             |
|         |                                   |
|         |                                   |
|         |           10/04/2002 03:08 PM     |
|         |           Please respond to       |
|         |           platform-core-dev       |
|         |                                   |
|---------+----------------------------------->

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |        To:      <platform-core-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
|
  |        cc:
|
  |        Subject: [platform-core-dev] Re: AutoRefresh attempt #2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Jed,

I think the major problem with the Win32Monitor with "all sorts of
filenames" is the Convert.toPlatformBytes function. It should append a zero
character to the byte array returned, which is needed for the Win32-APIs to
know when the string (i.e. pathname) ends.

After changing this on my machine (Windows XP) I also removed rejecting
path names containing spaces in Win32Monitor.addPath.

Now the native support for Windows seems to be ok. To see file system
modifications instantly in the workspace is so cool. Thank you for your
efforts supporting auto-refresh.

Ciao,
        Rolf