[platform-core-dev] AutoRefresh attempt #2

(See attached file: com.example.autorefresh_2.0.0_20020919.zip)

The attached zip contains our second attempt at adding auto-refresh support
to the workbench.  Enclosed in the zip are five more zips, each containing
a plugin.  To install, you will need to unzip the first zip, and then unzip
the plugin zips you want into a plugins directory.  This support requires
an Eclipse 2.0 build or later.

At a minimum you need to install:
com.example.autorefresh_2.0.0.zip
com.example.autorefresh.ui_2.0.0.zip

If you want to try out the native support you can install one of the
following fragments (pick your poison):
com.example.autorefresh.linux_2.0.0.zip
com.example.autorefresh.win32_2.0.0.zip

I have also included our test suite for completeness. :) (and so you can
run it hint, hint)

This support is very different from the original auto-refresh support.
Many of the APIs have changed, please investigate.

Unlike the previous version, the new AutoRefreshPlugin starts when the
workbench comes up.  Also, the buttons no longer appear automatically,
because the default preferences are set up such that monitoring occurs by
default and refreshing happens automatically.  If you change the
preferences, you will have to bring up the buttons using the customize
perspective menu item in the window menu.  Speaking of preferences, they
have been exposed in a preference page located under the General
preferences.

The native linux/gtk code should work reasonably.  It requires that you
have fam running on your machine.  Let's everybody (at least all of the gtk
users) thank Seth Nickell for his great work here!

The windows natives needs some work.  I'm not a C hacker, and Seth doesn't
play well with Windows, so if there is anybody out there who has the
refresh itch, and knows Windows natives, please jump in.  Specifically, the
first problem is that the basic Win32 support doesn't handle paths with
spaces in them.  Please see the todo.txt that is shipped in the win32
fragment.  I want to thank Rodrigo for his work getting us started before
he was assigned to a new project.

Obviously, this is experimental code, likely to change, don't bet your
kitchen sink on it, yada, yada, yada.  Please report bugs against platform
core, but assign me (Jed_Anderson@xxxxxxx) as the owner.

Feedback welcome/requested.

jkca