[platform-core-dev] Proxies, keystore and Authentication...

Request for discussion:

Problem:
Update/Manager has a bug it must fix (bug 19258) stating you cannot use
Update/Manager to install feature is you use a proxy server.

Adding a proxy preference page is not a big deal, but... (eh eh)

Some proxy require Authentication, in Java 1.2 you can use
java.net.Authenticator for that.
The pattern use is a singleton though, so the first Authenticator
registered wins.
We may have issue where is Update/manager registers an Authenticator, other
plugin may not be able to do so.

RFC:
Can we expose, either a new API or a new extension point to register an
Authenticator in core ?
My expertise stops there as I do not know what realm is about, and what
other parameter we need to provide...

The idea would be for Update/Manager to 'register' an authenticator for
proxy server the user entered so our authenticator is called.
We would also use the core Platform keystore API to store userid/password

I see Webdav/FTP component have their own authenticator mechanism, should
we extract it ?

Any technical issues ?

Christophe Elek
Eclipse.org (Platform Update Core)