[platform-core-dev] Validation interfaces

In Eclipse 2.0 the org.eclipse.core.resourcesIWorkspace  interface
defines a validateEdit() function which takes a list of file resources.
It calls the validateEdit() function defined in
org.eclipse.team.core.RepositoryProvider for each file's repository
provider, or the default provider
(org.eclipse.team.internal.core.DefaultFileModificationValidator) if the
file has no provider.

We intend to call this function from our plugin package because:

    1. it simplifies our code since we don't care which provider is
managing a resource
    2. it handles the situation when a file has no provider

We would also like to call an equivalent function for validateSave().
However, validateSave() is currently not defined by IWorkspace, even
though it is implemented by the Workspace class.

Is there a good reason for this?
Can validateSave() be added to IWorkspace?
It would make our application (and, I'm sure, others) much cleaner.
Otherewise we are forced to essentially clone the Workspace and
DefaultFileModificationValidator implementations to achieve the same
end.

Rod

Back to the top