Re: [platform-core-dev] [VOTE] vote on RFC 0001 - handling case variants

John,

The primary intent of the proposal is to give better feedback for the rare corner case of case insensitive name collision. To that end it proposes:

        * Add a more descriptive message --> ok

        * Add a  CASE_VARIANT_EXISTS   status --> ok

VOTE = +1

HOWEVER
==============

 If my code is checking  IResourceStatus.CASE_VARIANT_EXISTS and providing the user with special UI behavior  and this code may subsequently stop working because status checks are not gauranteed then........while your changes are ok, they actually don't solve the problem you state. They have literally just adding a nice string, and giving clients a status value they can't rely on and hence they shouldn't use.

I understand the comment  "we strive to avoid changing return status code" , but either its API (and subjected to the rules of change for API) and I can rely on it, or its not. Opening doors to the middle-world are a bad idea because it says there are times I can rely on non API things to be unchanging.

So...the reasons I voted + 1 despite this are
- the changes are in keeping with other errors (and hence suffer the same problems as others)
- a better message is always good
- this is a rare corner case (based on the spec)
- it is actually unlikely a UI would want to do anything fancy on a corner case anyways - little return on the effort

John_Arthorne@xxxxxxx
Sent by: platform-core-dev-admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

12/06/01 03:58 PM
Please respond to platform-core-dev