[platform-core-dev] Comments on RFC 0003: Log File Retrieval

Overall I concur with the proposal.

The log may be very long, especially considering the changes mentioned in
the plan to keep the log around longer than a single invocation.
It may be very memory-space intensive to read the whole thing in.
I recommend adding a parameter to retrieveLogContents specifying how many items to retrieve (presumably
starting from the end).

It would be also be nice to be able to determine how many entries there
are, and retrieve an arbitrary range, but this would require more
information in the log file format to do this efficiently.
For example, imagine a view which lets you scroll or page through the log
without having to read the whole thing into memory at once.
This is probably less important than simply allowing a bounds on the
number of entries read.

Question: It looks like the log API only allows it to contain IStatus
objects.  Is this any more restricted than the current support?  I guess
not, but thought I'd ask.

Back to the top