Re: [platform-core-dev] eclipse as a general application framework

see <jm>

Depending on what you want, another approach to this is to leave the
resources plugin in and just not use it.  That is, if the perspectives you
present don't allow for any resource manipulation, the resources plugin
will not do much.  There would be a small overhead in memory and on disk
but that's it.

<mas>I am not sure if this is going to work. Are you assuming that that I
don't use org.eclipse.ui.* ? If I want to use the workbench, it will try (I
guess) to contact the resource, which in turn will write to the local disk.
Am I right? This is not good if it's true. more below.</mas>

<jm>The UI will contact/use the resources plugin BUT, if you do not create
any resources, no resources will be written to disk!  The standard UI has a
resource Navigator and a Properties view etc.  If you adjust the
perspectives you show in your application to not have these views, your UI
will appear to be free of resources even though under the covers there is
the possibility that resources *could* exist.  They just don't.
</jm>

Jeff

Back to the top